Oh man, I'm in trouble. I did something dangerous. I learned how easy and cheap it is to make your own hummus. And when I say cheap and easy I mean if you have a food processor, you cannot mess this up.
I love hummus and my twins love it too. Mark just dips his fingers in it since a chip would get in the way. Mark gets his own bowl of hummus when we eat it because of this habit. Isabella doesn't like hummus but she always wants to try it since the twins like it. But she liked the bell pepper hummus. She's not a huge fan, but I think it's growing on her.
Roasted Red Bell Pepper Recipe
1 can garbanzo beans
2 cloves of garlic
2 1/2 T olive oil
2 T tahini
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1/4 t cumin
1/2 red bell pepper
1. Remove the seeds and stem from the bell pepper. Roast the bell pepper over a grill or open flame from your stove. If you're doing it over the stove, put the pepper on a skewer. I use the grill since mine is a natural gas grill and it heats up in 2 seconds.
2. Roast the peppers for about 5 mins on each side. Watch them since the heat varies.
3. Remove the skin from the pepper.
4. Add the pepper and all remaining ingredients to a food processor and mix.
5. Serve and try not to eat it all in one sitting.
Pretzel chips are my favorite dipping tools for hummus. And if you're looking for a healthier and delicious way to enjoy a tuna sandwich, put a couple tablespoons of hummus in your tuna instead of mayo. It may sound gross, but it's oh so good. I had a fellow MoM give me that tip at convention and I'm going to love her forever for it.